Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Bloom's speeches

4
O, there you are

Milk for the pussens

Afraid of the chickens she is. Afraid of the chookchooks. I never saw such a stupid pussens as the pussens.

I'm going round the corner. Be back in a minute.

You don't want anything for breakfast?

Good day, Mr O'Rourke.

Lovely weather, sir.

Good morning

A letter for me from Milly, and a card to you. And a letter for you. [

Do you want the blind up?

That do?

The kettle is boiling

What?

Who was the letter from?

What are you singing?

Would you like the window open a little?

Eleven, I think. I didn't see the paper.

Met him what?

Metempsychosis?

Metempsychosis. It's Greek: from the Greek. That means the transmigration of souls.

Did you finish it?

Never read it. Do you want another?

Some people believe that we go on living in another body after death, that we lived before. They call it reincarnation. That we all lived before on the earth thousands of years ago or some other planet. They say we have forgotten it. Some say they remember their past lives.

Metempsychosis is what the ancient Greeks called it. They used to believe you could be changed into an animal or a tree, for instance. What they called nymphs, for example.

The kidney!

Miaow! Wait till I'm ready.


5
Are there any letters for me?

Hello, M'Coy. Nowhere in particular.

Fine. How are you?

O no, Mr Bloom said. Poor Dignam, you know. The funeral is today.

E...eleven

I know.

Yes

Yes, yes. Another gone.

O yes. Tiptop, thanks.

My wife too. She's going to sing at a swagger affair in the Ulster hall, Belfast, on the twentyfifth.

It's a kind of a tour, don't you see? There's a committee formed. Part shares and part profits.

Yes

I'll do that. That'll be all right.

That will be done

Yes

Sweet almond oil and tincture of benzoin, and then orangeflower water.

And white wax also

No. Make it up, please. I'll call later in the day and I'll take one of those soaps. How much are they?

I'll take this one. That makes three and a penny.

Good

You can keep it

I was just going to throw it away

I say you can keep it. I was going to throw it away that moment.

6
After you

There's a friend of yours gone by, Dedalus

Your son and heir.

No. He was alone.

Yes. He's behind with Ned Lambert and Hynes.

I met M'Coy this morning. He said he'd try to come.

[? We're stopped.]

The grand canal,

The weather is changing,

[? We're off again.]

O very well. I hear great accounts of it. It's a good idea, you see...

Well no. In point of fact I have to go down to the county Clare on some private business. You see the idea is to tour the chief towns. What you lose on one you can make up on the other.

Louis Werner is touring her. O yes, we'll have all topnobbers. J. C. Doyle and John MacCormack I hope and. The best, in fact.

That's an awfully good one that's going the rounds about Reuben J. and the son.

Yes. Isn't it awfully good?

There was a girl in the case, and he determined to send him to the isle of Man out of harm's way but when they were both.....

Yes. They were both on the way to the boat and he tried to drown.....

No, the son himself.....

Yes. But the funny part is.....

Isn't it awfully good?

The best death

No suffering. A moment and all is over. Like dying in sleep.

I can't make out why the corporation doesn't run a tramline from the parkgate to the quays. All those animals could be taken in trucks down to the boats.

Yes, and another thing I often thought is to have municipal funeral trams like they have in Milan, you know. Run the line out to the cemetery gates and have special trams, hearse and carriage and all. Don't you see what I mean?

Why? Wouldn't it be more decent than galloping two abreast?

Was he insured?

How many children did he leave?

A sad case. Five young children.

Indeed yes






It does

L. Leopold. And you might put down M'Coy's name too. He asked me to.



Macintosh. Yes I saw him. Where is he now?

No. I say, Hynes!









[? O, excuse me!]

Excuse me, sir




Your hat is a little crushed


























No comments:

Post a Comment